Book Buzz: “Big Magic” by Elizabeth Gilbert
BIBLIOPHILE (n) a lover of books; someone who finds joy and peace of mind while holding a book.
I’m just going to be honest and upfront…I am a book nerd! I am a book hoarder. I buy waaaaay too many books and they are some of my most treasured possessions. There I said it!
Yes, I know we should all be doing our bit to be kind to trees by becoming more conscious of going paperless and therefore read books on our kindles (I do have one of those too) but I have to be honest that nothing really beats the feel of a good book in your hands or the smell of it as you turn the pages. Preferably a good cup of tea/coffee or even wine (depending on the time of day) to accompany it. If you are at the same stage of life as me, possibly your reading glasses are essential too (since I am being honest and bearing all the flaws HA!). Not a day goes by without me finding a sliver of a moment to pick up a book and reading is the last thing I do EVERY night, even if it’s just one page. My poor husband has given up on ever going to sleep with the bedside lights off!
It would be silly of me to even consider sharing my creative life with you without paying homage to books. They are some of my most treasured friends, favourite authors, best gifts, words of wisdom and hands down the first place I find myself if I am on my own, in need of inspiration or just feel like a jolly good story. Who doesn’t love a good story? So the ‘Book Buzz’ section on my blog will be my way of sharing the books with you that have given me that warm, fuzzy buzz of a feeling when you read something that is just too good not to share!
If you read my last blogpost (you can read it HERE ) and you have any new creative intentions for 2019, “Big Magic – Creative Living Beyond Fear” by Elizabeth Gilbert is without a doubt a fabulous read to get you started! I find it hard to believe that anyone who leads a creative life (artists, writers, musicians, actors, designers…) would not have already read it. In fact everyone should read it, regardless of whether you think you are creative or not! It should certainly be compulsory reading in ALL schools! If only it were, perhaps we would meet less adults who have this perception that they are not creative! We would meet less adults who allow FEAR to cripple them and stop them from doing or trying. We would meet more adults who are courageous, give themselves permission to make mistakes and have the perseverance to learn from them and embrace further challenges. This is a book for everyone!
By sharing her own stories and experiences, Elizabeth Gilbert shares her wisdom and unique perspective on creativity. I quote from the blurb on the book cover “Elizaeth Gilbert challenges us to embrace our curiosity, tackle what we most love and face down what we most fear.”
Unfinished paintings are waiting for me and my paint studio is calling to me, reminding me that I have work to do (I am after all a painter not a writer). So without boring you with any more of my own words, I would like to share some quotes, that is some of the wisdom, that really hit the sweet spot for me from this book…
- “The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them. The hunt to uncover those jewels – that’s creative living. The courage to go on that hunt in the first place – that’s what separates mundane existence from a more enchanted one.” (..and who doesn’t need a little enchantment, right?)
- “You can measure your worth by your dedication to your path, not by your successes or failures.” (or by how many people follow you on social media – dedication to what you do is always the priority)
- “When I refer to ‘creative living’, I am speaking more broadly. I’m talking about living a life that is driven more strongly by curiosity than by fear.”
- “Do whatever brings you to life, then. Follow your own fascinations, obsessions, and compulsions. Trust them. Create whatever causes a revolution in your heart.” (I LOVE that!!!!)
- “It seems to me that the less I fight my fear the less it fights back. If I can relax, fear relaxes too.”
- “Do you have the courage to bring forth (your) work? The treasures hidden inside you are hoping you will say yes.” (Amen to that! Hands up to say YES!)
- “Most things have been done, but they haven’t been done by you“
- “And you have treasures hidden within you – extraordinary treasures – and so do I, and so does everyone around us. And bringing those treasures to light takes work and faith and focus and courage and hours of devotion, and the clock is ticking, and the world is spinning, and we simply do not have time anymore to think so small.”
- “Your life is short and rare and amazing and miraculous, and you want to do really interesting things and make really interesting things while you’re still here” (Hell YES!)
– Elizabeth Gilbert (comments from the peanut gallery in brackets are by me)
Well I could quote most of the book, but I will just leave you mulling over these treasures for a few moments – no more needs to be said or written by me! Other than… if you haven’t got a copy you need to head off to your local book store PRONTO! If you do have a copy, maybe now is a good time to pull it off the shelf and have another look…the book surprises me with new wisdom each time I read it or glance through the chapters.
If you have read “Big Magic”, I’d love to know your thoughts in the comments below…I’m always up for a good chat about a book! And if you want to stay in touch and not miss out on news from my studio please JOIN my mailing list. I will keep you updated on news, new work, shows, blogposts, giveaways and special offers exclusive to my online community.
Creative wishes, joy and gratitude to you all
P.S. If like me you are a frequent visitor and best friends with Amazon then you can find the book HERE and if you want to buy locally in South Africa, click HERE to purchase from Loot, another firm favourite. I am in no way affiliated with either of these companies…I’m merely helping a friend who NEEDS a book!
P.P.S If you have just read a book that gave you that warm, fuzzy buzz feeling, feel free to share it with us below. I’m always up for a little book shopping, thanks! Now I REALLY DO need to go paint….